Wednesday, May 09, 2007

kindergarten and preteen years

I'm sure you've realized I've been busy. All you have to do is browse my never changing post to know that there has been lots going on in our household. The end of school is always a hectic time. There a lots of activities and forms to be crammed into just a few weeks. I'm sure it's the same in your home, too. The following information should have probably been broken into several editions, but in the interest of documenting it all I have just added a mega post.

Jordan's volleyball session is winding down. She has had an awesome coach who seems to know just when to bug her or give her some extra attention. Coach Emily played volleyball in college and is now a Methodist Minister. She's a very kind person who realizes that this young team (grades 3-5) is in the midst of building their sports confidence and self images. Jordan has tried lots of sports, but is often plagued with the issue of perfection. I often struggled with this as a child and as a result never fell in love with sports because I thought I had to be incredible at everything I did. This was all an idea in my own head (nothing my parents could have said to change it) but I regret that incredibly as an adult. Volleyball has been a good fit team sport wise for Jordan. Apparently the middle school years get very competitive with A5 level travel teams and lots of activity in the fall with the school team. We are taking this all one step at a time.



William attended his kindergarten orientation at the beginning of May. He was SO excited and thrilled. They had a lot of cute activities planned for the morning visit which included a "spy kit" and a mystery to solve as we toured the school. They had the school mascot in costume as we entered the building and were taking polaroids of each child as a keepsake to put in their spy kit. William -- who is hardly ever nervous or shy about anything -- actually stood behind me and asked the photographer if he could have just photo of Murphy the Mustang without him in it. Dave cited a long history with mascots later...when he was 17 months we were at Disney and he freaked at Pooh bear. In any case, we enjoyed the tour. William's class will be the first group to use the new kindergarten wing at the school. We've endured lots of contruction for two years, but it all seems worth it. The facilities and programs are awesome at this public school. They've even added a huge new "arts" wing and also a science lab facility. The fundraising foundation at the school (just initiated two years ago) had ensured spanish instruction for all grades with full time staff the state and county could not pay for currently. I feel blessed to have such an awesome elementary school for my kiddos.



Oh yes, I had a lovely girl turn TEN on May 4th. She has been excitedly awaiting the big day for weeks. Apparently turning two digits is a big deal in the would of elementary school. Jordan made sure to inform Dave, "You are just going to have to face it Dad - I'll be an official preteen after this birthday." as he tucked her in one night. I believe I heard a big sigh from her father after that one.



The party was a success. I had specifically limited Jordan to a number on invites. After that second grade luau in which all 29 invitees came I have been gunshy. (No one sent regrets that time and fortunately it all worked well with the party format. We adults had to rest for an entire weekend to recover though.) So this year she was given the goal of 10 invites for a spend the night party. Out of 10 we had 4 regrets. Most had soccer or gymnastics competitions the next day so we ended up with 6 for the party part (until 11 pm) and then one friend spent the night. I had worried so much about entertaining them, but it turns out that this age likes to entertain themselves. It was a monkey themed party and we set up a "banana cabana" out in the yard. They loved this idea and hung out there throughout the party. We played some games, did some crafts, ate pizza and banana splits (only Dave ate a banana on his) and ran around the yard. They loved the banana split idea, but I think most of them got so inspired to create huge masterpieces that they only ate a small portion of the end result. They were giddy over the fact that no one was regulating their creations. Here are some photos from the occassion.






2 comments:

Caroline said...

Ann, I gotta say Jordan reminds me so much of Alia, I think we have all ready hit the tween years. It is all about fashion and hair and of course Hannah Montana. Tommy is just happy being Tommy. Me and Tom are just trying to keep up with everything.

Elizabeth Lucas Wilson said...

Ann, I think you should become a professional kids party planner! Your ideas and decorations are always wonderful!
Elizabeth