Saturday, February 23, 2008

legacy

Yesterday as I drove to work it was a dreary, rainy day. My "to do" list was growing by the moment and the list of projects -- both personal and professional -- seems monumental at this moment. The temperature felt colder because of the rain and my seat heat made me cozier. Music is such a big part of my life. I've recently found a song which almost insulates me from these day to day issues. It makes a dreary day not so depressing and spurs me to go on with life and my purpose. I've had a few reflective days since my grandfather's death. Do yourself a favor and find Nichole Nordeman's song, "Legacy".

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
I'd love to make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy...

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Ann, I love that song

Ann said...

Thanks Caroline. What eventually happened with your work/gossip situation? Did it all work out this week?

I think I should feel ashamed for complaining about the dreary weather here...didn't you get a snowstorm this week? I guess "cold" is relative to where you live.

Are you still making plans to attend the family reunion?

Caroline said...

It is really a funny story. Everyone who was involved in the gossip and drama got fired. We had 4 people lose their jobs. The manager, and 3 other co-workers. All were at the other store that I don't work at, but they were all full of drama and bringing it to out store. We still have 1 that is drama prone but since there is no one there who will feed into it, she should be fine. But any drama coming from her, she will be gone too.

Caroline said...

yes, still planning on the reunion.

Ann said...

I don't need much more drama in my life, do you?

Caroline said...

No, not at my age. Definitely could do with out it.