Monday, November 07, 2005

random ramblings

On Saturday night we were running errands. The moon was an absolutely beautiful fingernail with a planet to the upper right of it. (Mars?) It was eye-catching...enough to hold a 4 year old boy's attention for a few moments. After observing the sight for a while William said,

"Hey Daddy, I think the moon wants to sit beside us. Would that be alright?"

And the trip to Target seemed bearable, ya know?

Grace has been enamored with her belly button. She's beginning to precariously run around the house with a little purse on her arm. Occasionally she stops to look down at her belly, raise her shirt, and point her little finger at the magic spot. She even knows the name of that funny body part. How ironic...just as she's weaned completely (well, it's been a couple of months since she stopped relying on me) she knows the point at which I first gave her food through my body. I think God has a sense of humor.

Dave left on a trip to Seattle and then Maryland. He'll be in Seattle until Wednesday morning and then fly back with the team to regurgitate the information gathered at Microsoft. Sounds like a busy week to me. I'll be keeping the household afloat while he's gone. Not exactly a normal week, but we manage.

William had he 4 year old checkup this morning. Now I can just hear you saying that his official birthday was at the beginning of September. Yes, it was. I'll come clean here. I didn't make the appointment until after the survival of his birthday party. ;-) No one threw me out of the office on my ear so I guess I'm still in the running for mother-of-the-year. William weighed in at 42.5 pounds and was 42.5 inches tall. He's in the 95th to 100th percentile. That's how he's been his whole life. Funny thing is that he's lost all that baby fat look. He's thin as a rail (despite his weight amount) and growing like a weed. The worst part of the whole appointment was the shots. There were 3 required for school plus the flu shot. The nurse finished with two shots in the left arm and William handled it pretty bravely. The saddest moment came when he looked at her shot tray, saw two remaining shots, and realized that those were for his right arm. He was literally heartbroken and told the nurse that it just wasn't right to hurt people like that. Big old elephant tears started pouring out of his eyes. He never physically fought the shot (thank goodness), but he was really upset.

By the way, can you imagine a more marvelous Fall weather situation. The kids are loving it. Shorts in November and lots of time outside. Nice.

No comments: