Friday, August 18, 2006

so far so good

I just finished getting the last of the morning crew off to work and school. Jordan usually heads for the bus around 7:20 am. William and Dave are just five minutes behind her getting on the road to the school dropoff. Everything has gone well this week. William is beaming when I pick him up each day and is eager to go to school each morning. I hope this continues. He must have a fantastic teacher. Each day he comes home with stories of what happened and I am overwhelmed with the amount of information Ms. Molly has already covered. On the first day William proudly got to be the flag holder for the Pledge of Allegiance. He was walking around spouting the plege all night using the word "invisible" instead of "indivisible". (Drove Jordan crazy.) Apparently they covered the letter "i" and did a science unit on rocks on the first day. On Wednesday the class got two frogs for pets, got to name them, and see tadpoles the teacher brought. I think we are off to a good start.

Jordan seems pleased with her classroom. It's a little hard to tell how the workload and daily schedule is going to go yet. The first week of school is always a little busy -- especially as they get older. We've only had reading as a homework assignment each night so I am bracing myself for the load to drop soon. I am anxious to hear the teacher's plans next Wednesday at the open house. She's a younger teacher (5 years teaching experience) and seems to have a lot of energy, but we don't really know her classroom methodology yet.

Grace and I have been trying to pick up the pieces each day around the house. We've played cook in her kitchen many times and she's enjoyed some quiet time with me alone. The little stinker is talking up a storm. We've been eating outside on the screened porch each day for lunch and she's loved this. Lately she has a habit of saying "huh?" to everything I say. I repeat my words and she'll say "huh?" again. Just as I am about to get frustrated with repeating the conversation she then rephrases the whole idea back to me and asks an intelligent question. I suppose we are in the language burst.

There are so many projects that got delayed this summer by all the camps, trips, and kid chaos. I'm digging into some of the big ones now and I think I have several weeks to get my house back into order. I'll get there eventually.

No comments: