Wednesday, August 09, 2006

summer winds to an end

It's been a whirlwind of a summer. Jordan is doing the last summer camp this week. It is a cheer camp at the local high school. It's always a fun time to get together with her friends before school starts. I'm not sure any of them have aspirations to be a cheerleader.

I can hardly believe that we are now in the last few days before school starts. Monday morning will be a busy and happy day. Somehow I always love the official "back to school" photo and the way it chronicles change from year to year. Until now it has only been Jordan in these photos. Now it'll be Jordan and William and I am thrilled to see this new milestone approaching. It's not that I want them in school to help me out during the day...though I suppose that is the obvious thought when you have multiple children...but more that I am excited to see them growing and learning. Don't worry, I won't have too much quiet time once they head off each morning. Grace has begun to chatter non-stop while playing.

Jordan is currently upstairs cleaning her room. We really need to get things organized before the school chaos begins. As motivation I have promised to let her have a sleepover on Thursday night with her two best friends (twin sisters) before school begins. We also have William's "meet and greet" that night so it should be some interesting kid juggling with 5 total kids in tow. On Friday Jordan has another birthday party/spend the night party to attend. Think she'll be tired from all that partying? I'm going to slip away with Dave for a fun date -- one I've planned especially to make Dave smile -- and my dear niece Laura is keeping William and Grace so we can escape. I'm sure Dave thinks he has it all figured out, but he doesn't. (Are you reading the blog dear?)

On Saturday I meet up with some friends at The Cheesecake Factory. I'm so excited to have a lunch out with some girlfriends. It's been a long time since I've gotten some time to be "just myself". I'm sure everyone can relate to that. ;-)

Finally, I must admit that I had a hard time turning the other cheek today at the YMCA gym. I was waiting patiently for the treadmill. I got my music ready and kept my eye on the people almost ready to get off. A group of women came into the cardio room at the back. Most of them loaded onto ellipse machines. One of my targeted treadmill users got off and a woman from that group RAN to the treadmill and hopped on as if no one else mattered. I was just a few feet away from the machine when this happened since I had already headed toward the open machine...and I had been waiting for almost 10 minutes. I know it's not right, but my blood just boiled at how inconsiderate the other woman was. It even affected my workout. Finally I was able to let it go, but still... I felt like George Costanza. What do you say to someone who is rude like that? "Excuse me you rudely took my slot on the treadmill AND I saw you running to beat me to the machine!" Argh!

No comments: